My member of Congress, Rep. Ashley Hinson, has written “impeachment will only serve to feed the flames and further divide our nation.” She is wrong. What will further divide our nation is to ignore the seditious acts of Donald Trump. Accountability and personal responsibility used to be what conservatives said were their values. If Republicans would clearly admit that Trump tried to destroy our democracy by telling the Big Lie, that would be a step toward uniting our nation. Republicans need to plainly tell the truth and say that our last election was free and fair. To say otherwise undermines democracy, divides our nation, and supports sedition. If Republicans would apologize for supporting a tyrant wannabe, that would help unite the nation.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Painful loss for Iowa men's basketball at Michigan, physically and emotionally
- After uproar, University of Iowa dentistry dean stepping down early
- Iowa women’s basketball endures delay, routs No. 12 Michigan, 89-67
- Burlington man charged for operating large-scale meth ring between Burlington and Cedar Rapids
- Iowa boomers face steep costs as long-term care insurance premiums rise
- CeMar Trail project making progress despite delays from derecho