Just what I feared, another Grassley who cherry-picks examples and ignores larger problems just to solidify a grip on power. Speaker of the Iowa House Pat Grassley touts our new agreements with China, which, to be clear, China has yet to uphold. How much more effective could an agreement have been if Trump would’ve partnered with other countries to apply pressure rather than use our farmers as cannon fodder in an ongoing trade war? Grassley also trots out an old trope about Trump locking down flights from China, which after more than 170,000 American deaths would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad that Grassley thinks it was effective. The virus was already here, so rather than do in his own country what was needed, Trump makes a political play to score some cheap and ineffective points against another. If this low level of analysis and sycophancy is what we can expect from yet another Grassley, than we have to ensure that both the patriarch and his grandson are permanently retired from politics in 2022.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Solon boys’ basketball bounces back with win over Clear Creek Amana
- Size advantage helps CCA shine in girls' basketball season opener
- Police ask for help to identify suspects in string of armed robberies last month
- Almost $9 million available for homeless shelters and Iowans ‘at imminent risk’ of eviction
- Iowa City West's Marcus Morgan decides to play baseball at Iowa
- University of Iowa on ‘aggressive timeline’ for new president by April 30