Just what I feared, another Grassley who cherry-picks examples and ignores larger problems just to solidify a grip on power. Speaker of the Iowa House Pat Grassley touts our new agreements with China, which, to be clear, China has yet to uphold. How much more effective could an agreement have been if Trump would’ve partnered with other countries to apply pressure rather than use our farmers as cannon fodder in an ongoing trade war? Grassley also trots out an old trope about Trump locking down flights from China, which after more than 170,000 American deaths would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad that Grassley thinks it was effective. The virus was already here, so rather than do in his own country what was needed, Trump makes a political play to score some cheap and ineffective points against another. If this low level of analysis and sycophancy is what we can expect from yet another Grassley, than we have to ensure that both the patriarch and his grandson are permanently retired from politics in 2022.
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Kenzie Reed comes up big in Kennedy’s substate semifinal win over No. 9 Ottumwa
- Iowa City Liberty trying to make up for lost time in boys’ basketball postseason
- Photos: Ottumwa vs. Cedar Rapids Kennedy, Class 4A Iowa high school boys' basketball substate semifinals
- Father of Iowa drug sentencing reformer faces prison in meth case
- Students speak up for racial justice in ‘March on Washington’ in Cedar Rapids
- 2 arrested, recruited by Iowa City landlord to break into tenant’s home armed with bats, police say