The GOP has sold its soul to Trump and is actively bartering ours. Sens. Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others aren’t geniuses but they know their boss is as corrupt as a man — let alone, a president — can be. But he has handed them power and he can take it away with an early-morning round of tweets. And most shamefully it is 50 percent of the American people who have convinced them they can get away with this. Cruelty, injustice and indecency have always existed in this and every other society, but now we see hoards and herds of Trump supporters wildly applauding daily demonstration of those qualities. And our Democratic presidential hopefuls are not helping. They need to stop tearing at one another and unify with the sole goal of ending the reign of King Donald. We are dancing on the edge of a rumbling volcano. God save our republic.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa men's basketball tops No. 19 Michigan in intense rematch
- Iowa 2020 depth chart projections, RB: The runway is clear for Tyler Goodson's takeoff
- Win at Minnesota 'mentally and physically' exhausted Iowa women's basketball
- Iowa men's basketball vs. Michigan: Box score, highlights, live updates recap
- Women’s March in Iowa City postponed because of winter storm
- Missing: Cedar Rapids man disappeared more than 2 months ago, his family wants answers