The GOP has sold its soul to Trump and is actively bartering ours. Sens. Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others aren’t geniuses but they know their boss is as corrupt as a man — let alone, a president — can be. But he has handed them power and he can take it away with an early-morning round of tweets. And most shamefully it is 50 percent of the American people who have convinced them they can get away with this. Cruelty, injustice and indecency have always existed in this and every other society, but now we see hoards and herds of Trump supporters wildly applauding daily demonstration of those qualities. And our Democratic presidential hopefuls are not helping. They need to stop tearing at one another and unify with the sole goal of ending the reign of King Donald. We are dancing on the edge of a rumbling volcano. God save our republic.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Western Dubuque baseball season suspended by COVID-19 in middle of game against Cedar Rapids Washington
- Former Iowa DB Maurice Fleming adds to accusations made against Kirk Ferentz, Chris Doyle
- Liberty’s Kara Maiers no-hits Linn-Mar, then the Lions salvage a split
- Iowa sees contiued uptick in coronavirus hospitalizations
- 4A, 3A Iowa high school baseball teams get substate assignments
- Cedar Rapids Schools to open fully accredited online school as coronavirus pandemic continues