The GOP has sold its soul to Trump and is actively bartering ours. Sens. Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others aren’t geniuses but they know their boss is as corrupt as a man — let alone, a president — can be. But he has handed them power and he can take it away with an early-morning round of tweets. And most shamefully it is 50 percent of the American people who have convinced them they can get away with this. Cruelty, injustice and indecency have always existed in this and every other society, but now we see hoards and herds of Trump supporters wildly applauding daily demonstration of those qualities. And our Democratic presidential hopefuls are not helping. They need to stop tearing at one another and unify with the sole goal of ending the reign of King Donald. We are dancing on the edge of a rumbling volcano. God save our republic.
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa wrestling opens season in dominating fashion against Nebraska
- Solon boys’ basketball overcomes Mount Vernon in overtime, 74-70
- Vinton-Shellsburg tops CPU in girls’ basketball for the first time in 10 years
- Photos: Iowa Hawkeyes wrestling vs. Nebraska Cornhuskers
- U.S. Rep. Ashley Hinson waiting to see details of Biden’s $1.9 trillion relief plan
- Iowa judge tosses nine felony charges against Black Lives Matter leader