The GOP has sold its soul to Trump and is actively bartering ours. Sens. Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham and the others aren’t geniuses but they know their boss is as corrupt as a man — let alone, a president — can be. But he has handed them power and he can take it away with an early-morning round of tweets. And most shamefully it is 50 percent of the American people who have convinced them they can get away with this. Cruelty, injustice and indecency have always existed in this and every other society, but now we see hoards and herds of Trump supporters wildly applauding daily demonstration of those qualities. And our Democratic presidential hopefuls are not helping. They need to stop tearing at one another and unify with the sole goal of ending the reign of King Donald. We are dancing on the edge of a rumbling volcano. God save our republic.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Brandon Horman, former Cedar Rapids Jefferson boys’ basketball coach, taking over at Lisbon
- As Maggie McQuillen fights, support comes from Anamosa and beyond
- Cordell Pemsl transferring out of Iowa men’s basketball program
- Iowa Board of Medicine urges governor to require shelter in place
- IHSAA, IGHSAU holding out hope for Iowa high school spring sports
- Gov. Kim Reynolds appoints West Des Moines lawyer to Iowa Supreme Court