One of Ronald Reagan’s favorite expressions, “You dance with the one who brung ya,” came to mind when I read Sen. Joni Ernst’s piece in The Gazette today, justifying her not including a provision closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole” in the Violence Against Women Act she is sponsoring. Her statement that “she’s been through the worst of the worst” belies the fact that she still is living while Iowa women die every year at the hands of their boyfriends. Since the NRA donated $3 million dollars to her last senate campaign, we know who she’s dancing with.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Man shot to death outside Cedar Rapids apartments
- WATCH: RAGBRAI 2020 route and overnight towns announcement
- Two injured by gunfire in northeast Cedar Rapids
- West Branch DE Jeff Bowie commits to Iowa football
- Lisbon's Marshall Hauck claims battle of No. 1-ranked wrestlers at Bob Lueders Invitational
- Lisbon’s Jannell Avila wins a girls’ state wrestling title, with state champion brother in her corner