One of Ronald Reagan’s favorite expressions, “You dance with the one who brung ya,” came to mind when I read Sen. Joni Ernst’s piece in The Gazette today, justifying her not including a provision closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole” in the Violence Against Women Act she is sponsoring. Her statement that “she’s been through the worst of the worst” belies the fact that she still is living while Iowa women die every year at the hands of their boyfriends. Since the NRA donated $3 million dollars to her last senate campaign, we know who she’s dancing with.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- IPERS trust fund buffeted by volatile investment market
- United Technologies, Raytheon to close Friday on $135 billion merger
- Grim projection shows over 700 Iowans will die from coronavirus by August
- Coronavirus death toll up to 7 in Iowa
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for March 31: Undisclosed number of Quaker Oats employees test positive
- Procter and Gamble in Iowa City, Nordstrom center in Cedar Rapids employees test positive for COVID-19