One of Ronald Reagan’s favorite expressions, “You dance with the one who brung ya,” came to mind when I read Sen. Joni Ernst’s piece in The Gazette today, justifying her not including a provision closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole” in the Violence Against Women Act she is sponsoring. Her statement that “she’s been through the worst of the worst” belies the fact that she still is living while Iowa women die every year at the hands of their boyfriends. Since the NRA donated $3 million dollars to her last senate campaign, we know who she’s dancing with.
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Joe Wieskamp gets Iowa basketball fans buzzed, helps blitz Minnesota
- North Linn has basically a brand new boys' basketball team, but expects to challenge everyone again
- Senior independent living project planned in SW Cedar Rapids
- Slain Cedar Rapids man, 20, remembered as a loving brother and devoted father
- 18 months after crash, Congolese patient still stuck at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Man accused of attacking woman, stabbing man in southwest Cedar Rapids