One of Ronald Reagan’s favorite expressions, “You dance with the one who brung ya,” came to mind when I read Sen. Joni Ernst’s piece in The Gazette today, justifying her not including a provision closing the so-called “boyfriend loophole” in the Violence Against Women Act she is sponsoring. Her statement that “she’s been through the worst of the worst” belies the fact that she still is living while Iowa women die every year at the hands of their boyfriends. Since the NRA donated $3 million dollars to her last senate campaign, we know who she’s dancing with.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Cedar Rapids man seriously injured after fireworks incident in Marion
- Over protests, Muscatine mayor mandates masks
- Iowa reports no new coronavirus deaths Sunday
- 4 men die, 1 woman injured in Des Moines crash
- Joni Ernst launches first TV ad as another poll shows tight Iowa Senate race
- Motorcyclist from Walker seriously injured in Linn County crash Saturday