The pandemic and the contentious election seem to have left the power mongers without common sense and decency. Common sense and decency; however, have not been lost by the majority of American citizens. We can see through the dally negativity of the press, the ridiculous infighting of our government and the confusion of the CDC. Most of us to keep our sanity have turned off the news, fake or otherwise. We are told that our children cannot sit in class but they can play contact sports, we cannot assemble together in church or go to a restaurant but we can get on an airplane. We were told face masks absolutely do not prevent the spread of disease and then face masks are mandated. Not only have businesses been devastated by the decisions of the government but families have been isolated from loved ones who die alone in hospitals and in nursing homes. As citizens we have looked to government officials both Democrat and Republican for help and they have failed us. They have bankrupted businesses, tried to paralyze us with fear, and worst of all kept us from attending our dying loved ones. The government has not and will not save us. Wear a mask, wash your hands, and love your neighbor regardless of race, political party, or religion. “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life for many” (Mark 10:45). There is no fear in love.
Dr. JoLynn Glanzer
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Linn-Mar schools breaking ties with Iowa BIG
- New medical marijuana manufacturer coming to Cedar Rapids
- Jim Wohlpart resigning as University of Northern Iowa provost
- Were Gov. Reynolds’ claims in Condition of the State true? Our Fact Checker team grades her
- Rep. Ashley Hinson lands seat on U.S. House Appropriations Committee
- Girls’ basketball notes: Maquoketa Valley is the area’s last remaining unbeaten