I really enjoyed Mark Mathis’s article about the Shiloh Civil War Battlefield (“A Trip Back in Time: At the Battle of Shiloh, Iowans held the line.” April 5). I had family who fought on both sides, and that was my motivation for going. I was very surprised to see so many grand monuments to the Iowans who fought and died there. I urge anyone to take a road trip! I would only like to add that there is so much more to see in Tennessee; we went to Ft Donelson and Chattanooga, where Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge can be explored, and Chickamauga Battlefield is not too far south in Georgia. These are Civil War sites not to be missed. In Chattanooga, we even slept in a train car converted into a very comfortable hotel room at the Chattanooga Choo Choo train depot!
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Linn reports 45 new virus cases, Johnson 36
- Iowa football schedule: Hawkeyes open Big Ten season on Sept. 5
- Iowa’s 2020 football schedule: Omigosh, this is strange
- Coronavirus testing declines in United States as cases increase
- Grassley rips Democrats for blocking extension of jobless benefits
- Gov. Kim Reynolds gets good marks in poll despite voter disagreement with state pandemic policies