I really enjoyed Mark Mathis’s article about the Shiloh Civil War Battlefield (“A Trip Back in Time: At the Battle of Shiloh, Iowans held the line.” April 5). I had family who fought on both sides, and that was my motivation for going. I was very surprised to see so many grand monuments to the Iowans who fought and died there. I urge anyone to take a road trip! I would only like to add that there is so much more to see in Tennessee; we went to Ft Donelson and Chattanooga, where Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge can be explored, and Chickamauga Battlefield is not too far south in Georgia. These are Civil War sites not to be missed. In Chattanooga, we even slept in a train car converted into a very comfortable hotel room at the Chattanooga Choo Choo train depot!
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school football roundup: Second-round playoff scores, stats and more
- Cedar Rapids Prairie stuffs Davenport North in 4A football second round
- Cedar Rapids Xavier shakes off rust, rolls past Marion in 3A football postseason
- West Delaware pounds Western Dubuque to move to 3A football round of 16
- Watching the Hawkeyes?
- Cedar Rapids convention complex now the Alliant Energy Power House