I really enjoyed Mark Mathis’s article about the Shiloh Civil War Battlefield (“A Trip Back in Time: At the Battle of Shiloh, Iowans held the line.” April 5). I had family who fought on both sides, and that was my motivation for going. I was very surprised to see so many grand monuments to the Iowans who fought and died there. I urge anyone to take a road trip! I would only like to add that there is so much more to see in Tennessee; we went to Ft Donelson and Chattanooga, where Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge can be explored, and Chickamauga Battlefield is not too far south in Georgia. These are Civil War sites not to be missed. In Chattanooga, we even slept in a train car converted into a very comfortable hotel room at the Chattanooga Choo Choo train depot!
- Former Hawkeye Zach McCool carries on despite rare blood disease
- Iowa reports more than 350 new coronavirus cases Saturday
- Cedar Rapids man arrested after head-on fatal collision in Walford
- Cedar Rapids facility defies norm, heads for recovery after coronavirus outbreak
- Photos: A few hundred gather for the ‘I Can’t Breathe’ protest in Cedar Rapids
- As protests heat up across U.S. governors call in National Guard