While I agree with Adam Sullivan that the caucus is cumbersome and not perfect, it is our current system we have here in Iowa. This is the way the two major parties have chosen to select their presidential candidates. Mr. Sullivan is asking you “not to fret about staying home on caucus night.” I don’t think it is a good idea to discourage people from participating in our democracy. People’s involvement is what makes a democracy function, our right to have our voice heard in our election process. In light of the current discussions concerning voter suppression, it is disappointing to see a major newspaper in our state publish such an opinion. I am sorry that it is inconvenient for Mr. Sullivan to spend a few hours of his precious time to be an active participant in this process. Should the soldier serving in the military, in harms way, ask, if it is inconvenient for them to serve and possibly give their life for this country we all love? Don’t look on this as an inconvenience but as an opportunity, that many countries don’t have, to participate in a sacred process. I don’t think those few hours of inconvenience is too much to ask!
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Clear Creek Amana shocks No. 2 Marion in girls' basketball regional finals
- Iowa girls' state basketball tournament 2020: Brackets, schedule, first-round pairings
- North Linn survives another district final, this time against Dike-New Hartford
- Michigan State clamps down enough on Luka Garza to rally past Iowa
- Cedar Rapids officials take stand on climate change
- Prairie’s Mallory McDermott headlines all-Metro team