With the Iowa caucuses quickly approaching it’s time for Democrats to take a stand. I’ve wrestled with the choice, wavering back and forth between three candidates, but now is the time. Candidates present their platforms, but in reality, seeing those changes take effect depends solely upon who prevails in the congress. The choice is not just “someone who can beat Trump,” but who has the best ideals and goals to bring our country back from an ugly precipice of fear, untruths, hateful rhetoric and division. I see the rise of Bernie — a decent man, with waves of young supporters. I like the idea of Elizabeth Warren — a woman with integrity, who has consistently worked hard for the middle class and abounds with energy and a positive spirit. But in the end and after 50 years of involvement in politics, my heart and gut will rule this time. I am deeply saddened by Trump’s authoritarian rule for three years. He’s torn this country apart and diminished our standing in the world. More than anything, a healer is what this country needs and Joe Biden is it. He has the qualities of empathy and honesty, the experience and knowledge of a lawmaker with a priceless resume as vice president. I am the senior, the elder, the 75-year old never- polled voter. I’ve seen it all in politics and humanity. Joe Biden will bring us back. He is our hope.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Urbana fisherman’s body found
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Substate round, May Mascot Madness
- OK Iowa, get ready for a second spike in coronavirus cases
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for May 28: Cedar Rapids, Marion park playgrounds reopen Monday, Twin Pines Golf Course to reopen June 4
- Cedar Rapids lawmaker wants legislative session delayed
- Deaths from coronavirus in Iowa hit 500