With the Iowa caucuses quickly approaching it’s time for Democrats to take a stand. I’ve wrestled with the choice, wavering back and forth between three candidates, but now is the time. Candidates present their platforms, but in reality, seeing those changes take effect depends solely upon who prevails in the congress. The choice is not just “someone who can beat Trump,” but who has the best ideals and goals to bring our country back from an ugly precipice of fear, untruths, hateful rhetoric and division. I see the rise of Bernie — a decent man, with waves of young supporters. I like the idea of Elizabeth Warren — a woman with integrity, who has consistently worked hard for the middle class and abounds with energy and a positive spirit. But in the end and after 50 years of involvement in politics, my heart and gut will rule this time. I am deeply saddened by Trump’s authoritarian rule for three years. He’s torn this country apart and diminished our standing in the world. More than anything, a healer is what this country needs and Joe Biden is it. He has the qualities of empathy and honesty, the experience and knowledge of a lawmaker with a priceless resume as vice president. I am the senior, the elder, the 75-year old never- polled voter. I’ve seen it all in politics and humanity. Joe Biden will bring us back. He is our hope.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Clear Creek Amana shocks No. 2 Marion in girls' basketball regional finals
- Iowa girls' state basketball tournament 2020: Brackets, schedule, first-round pairings
- North Linn survives another district final, this time against Dike-New Hartford
- Michigan State clamps down enough on Luka Garza to rally past Iowa
- Center Point-Urbana wins defensive battle in girls' basketball regional finals
- Photos: Clear Creek Amana vs. Marion, Class 4A Iowa high school girls' basketball regional final