I just received our Social Security Statement for 2021. I see our income went up 1.6 percent for the cost of living increase, which is nice. I also note that our payment for Medicare insurance went up 1 percent which is reasonable and that our payment for Medicare prescription drugs went up 58 percent, which is not sustainable. Thus we have a net decrease in Social Security income. Not a very encouraging report. That brings me to my dismay of our tax system. According to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has allowed billionaires in 2018 to pay less taxes than the working class in 2018. Also in 2018 60-plus corporations paid no taxes and yet received tax rebates of 4.3 billion dollars! That is pretty disgusting. The Republican idea of a trickle-down economy has done nothing but make the rich richer and the middle class poorer. Can you tell me again exactly what you are doing for the middle class tax payer?
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa Democrats make ethics issue out of Rep. Ashley Hinson’s social media
- Martin Luther King Jr. service in Cedar Rapids honors ‘neighbors’
- Iowa GOP lawmakers again propose bill barring faculty tenure
- Iowa GOP leaders acknowledge Biden win
- GPS monitor helps police nab Iowa City man who stole women’s underwear
- Iowa reports 426 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death