The new Cedar Rapids Schools Superintendent seems well qualified. And, I am very encouraged by an “in-system” hire, instead of a very expensive national search. These national searches yield a temporary superintendent looking for another step on their career ladder. However, the job market for school administrators has gone nuts. The amounts paid to administrators statewide is out of control. One idea might be to tie the top salaries to the average teacher’s salary in the district. (The same idea would be good for CEO’s also.) Also, I find it troubling that our new superintendent lives in another school district, and her property taxes go to that district. She should pay taxes in the district that signs her check. Even more disturbing are the current trends in education. Educators seem to have lost their focus. In an attempt to raise the few, they have lowered the many. School board elections are important, please study candidates and vote.
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa House panels advance gun, abortion constitutional amendments
- Iowa women’s basketball game at Maryland postponed because of inauguration
- Cedar Rapids man charged in U.S. Capitol riot released pending trial with special conditions, including GPS monitoring
- Republican lawmakers reject proposed mask mandate at Iowa Capitol
- Audrey Koch’s big 3rd quarter helps send Iowa City West past Prairie
- Trump wishes luck to new administration