FAYETTE COUNTY — A 17-year-old boy was seriously injured during a hunting accident on Sunday.
According to the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office, the teen was squirrel hunting on private property around 1 p.m. Sunday when he tripped over a log and impaled himself through the neck on the barrel of his rifle. The rifle did not discharge, authorities said.
The boy, who is from West Union, was taken via ambulance to Palmer Hospital in West Union and later airlifted to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He is listed in critical condition, authorities said.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Scenes from Megan Gustafson's Iowa jersey retirement ceremony
- Wisconsin vs. Iowa men’s basketball glance: Time, TV, live stream, team data
- Recruiting is a season within the season for Iowa's Fran McCaffery
- McKenna Warnock's late heroics make a big day even bigger for Iowa women's basketball
- Kobe Bryant, 13-year-old daughter killed in helicopter crash
- For aging Iowans, staying near home is both a challenge and opportunity in rural Iowa