The Cedar Rapids Police Department has released the cause of an April 19 fire that injured one person.
According to Greg Buelow, Cedar Rapids public safety spokesperson, the explosion was caused due to a gas line that was disconnected from the gas water heater in the apartment unit where the explosion originated.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department responded to 1414 Oakland Road NE around 4:22 p.m. that evening for the report of an explosion and at least one injured occupant.
Upon their arrival, crews found the front and rear walls of one of the building’s 16 units “completely blown out,” according to a department release. The injured victim had been removed from the building prior to firefighters’ arrival and was taken to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
Buelow did not the disclose the victim’s current condtion.
Crews put out a fire at the rear of the affected unit and were forced to fortify other portions of the building to prevent further collapse. However, the building was determined at the time to have been rendered uninhabitable by the blast.
Buelow said no charges have been filed in the incident.