A 71-year-old man was killed early Thursday morning after he was struck by a semi-trailer truck as he was crossing Highway 61 through Muscatine on foot.
According to an Iowa State Patrol accident report, at 2:50 a.m. Thursday a semi driven by Rodney T. White, 44, of Ft. Wayne, Ind., was traveling on Highway 61 at Oakview Drive when Patrick A. Hazelwood, 71, of Muscatine stepped into the roadway, pushing a shopping cart. Hazelwood was struck by the semi’s power unit, according to the report, sending him into the ditch. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
This accident remains under investigation.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Mollie Tibbetts: Watch Live at 3 p.m. as investigators give updates regarding case
- Mike Zadick responds after dismissal from Iowa State wrestling staff
- 105 and sharp as a tack
- Cedar Rapids Xavier looks at 2018 as a new step
- 8 years removed, Julian Vandervelde trumpets Iowa football
- Marion looks to “super seniors” in attempt to reach playoffs