Public Safety

Cedar Rapids man accused of shooting at two boys

Suspect convicted last year in brawls at Casey's and the J Street SW apartments

CEDAR RAPIDS — A Cedar Rapids man faces multiple charges after police say he fired a weapon at two juveniles in southeast Cedar Rapids.

Police said an officer heard gunfire at 7:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 500 block of 16th Street SE.

Investigators determined a man in a vehicle — later identified as Larenzo L. Burnett, 19 — had fired multiple rounds at two boys.

Burnett was targeting one of the boys, who fled on foot, police said. No one was injured.

Four juveniles and several residents who witness the shots fired identified Burnett as the shooter, police said.

He was located at 8:20 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Fifth Avenue and 15th Street SE and taken into custody.

Burnett faces charges of intimidation with a dangerous weapon, felon in possession of a firearm, going armed with intent and carrying a concealed weapon.

Burnett was twice convicted in 2018 for participating in a riot.

The first conviction, according to court records, happened July 3, 2018, at the Casey’s General Store on Ellis Boulevard NW. The second conviction was tied to a large brawl that occurred in August at Cedar Valley Townhomes on J Street SW.

Burnett was arrested March 23 for carrying weapons when police investigated a disturbance at Fifth Avenue and 18th Street SE and found a gun under his car seat.

• Comments: (319) 398-8238; kat.russell@thegazette.com

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.