Man enters Alford pleas in series of attacks in and around University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Adam Weinstein faces up to five years in prison

Adam Weinstein

IOWA CITY — A man accused of attacking women in and around the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics two years ago will spend up to five years in prison and spend the rest of his life on the Iowa Sex Offender Registry after entering Alford pleas to two of those attacks.

During a plea hearing on Tuesday, Adam Weinstein, 34, entered Alford pleas to assault with intent to commit sexual abuse with a resulting injury, a felony; and assault with intent to commit sexual abuse, an aggravated misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison.

In making an Alford plea, a defendant doesn’t admit guilt but admits the prosecution could likely prove the charges based on evidence.

Weinstein indicated during proceedings that he does not recall the crimes taking place. His attorney, Eric Tindal, said Weinstein was suffering from mental illness and was under the influence of his medication, alcohol and K2.

Assistant Johnson County Attorney Mike Ringle said a plea agreement was reached that would see the state recommend Weinstein’s two sentences run concurrently.

During Tuesday’s hearing, Weinstein expressed some confusion in what he was agreeing to, including whether he would be found guilty by a jury of the charges.

“I can’t say that for sure,” Weinstein told Judge Kevin McKeever. “I’m not a lawyer, I’m not a prosecutor.”

Ultimately, after consulting with his attorney, Weinstein admitted that there was a reasonable likelihood that he could be found guilty of assaulting a woman inside the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and injuring her and of grabbing a parking lot cashier with the intent of committing sexual assault.

Weinstein previously faced one count of third-degree sexual abuse, four counts of assault with intent to commit sexual abuse and three counts of third-degree harassment for incidents alleged to have occurred on Nov. 10, 2015.

Police said Weinstein entered the UIHC around 1:15 a.m. that day and proceeded to the fifth floor of Boyd Tower. There, Weinstein approached a woman, grabbed and forcibly kissed her and put his hands down her pants, police said.

About 90 minutes later, Weinstein touched a cashier at the Melrose Avenue parking facility, police said. Those two incidents triggered a Hawk Alert.

Police said Weinstein returned to the hospital around 1:40 p.m., grabbed a woman in an elevator and asked her to have sex with him. A short time later, he allegedly grabbed a woman around the waist outside of the UI Field House. Police said the woman was able to push him away and he fled on foot.

Around 1:54 p.m., police said Weinstein approached a fifth woman, put his arm around her and tried to put his hand down her pants. She was able to escape, police said.

Police captured Weinstein later that day and had him involuntarily committed to UI Hospitals for a mental health evaluation.

In June 2016, Weinstein’s attorney sought a mental health evaluation. In November 2016, he was deemed incompetent to stand trial and proceedings were suspended. A judge ruled at the time that Weinstein suffered from schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type and possibly other mental conditions that prevented him from understanding his charges and court proceedings and assisting in his own defense.

In February 2017, staff at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center notified the court that Weinstein had been “restored to competency” and proceedings were restored.

After his prison sentence, Weinstein will placed on probation for 10 years.

Sentencing will be set at a later date.

l Comments: (319) 398-8238;