A flash flood warning is in effect for Cedar Rapids and the surrounding areas until 2:30 a.m.
A line of thunderstorms is passing through the area and will result in heavy rains and winds as intense as 30 mph in Southeastern Buchanan, Northwestern Cedar, Northern Johnson, Southeastern Benton, Western Jones, Southeastern Delaware, Linn, and Northeastern Iowa counties according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service is expecting rivers to rise and issued a warning to any residence living near creeks or streams to be prepared to move to higher ground in case of flash floods.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Third Avenue Bridge plantings get green light in Cedar Rapids
- Voters say no to Alburnett Schools $11.6M bond
- Balloon Glow 2019 photos: Bright eyes, balloons glow ebullient
- Balloon Glow 2019: Time, location, parking for Cedar Rapids hot air balloon event
- Eastern Iowa high school softball Super 10 rankings: June 26, 2019
- Freedom Festival executive director to step down after this year’s event