A flash flood warning is in effect for Cedar Rapids and the surrounding areas until 2:30 a.m.
A line of thunderstorms is passing through the area and will result in heavy rains and winds as intense as 30 mph in Southeastern Buchanan, Northwestern Cedar, Northern Johnson, Southeastern Benton, Western Jones, Southeastern Delaware, Linn, and Northeastern Iowa counties according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service is expecting rivers to rise and issued a warning to any residence living near creeks or streams to be prepared to move to higher ground in case of flash floods.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- For Iowa, the Oliver Martin transfer was a quick, no-brainer
- Man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts wants to delay upcoming hearing and trial
- Iowa football schedule 2019: Early look at opponents, point spread predictions and more
- Jay Inslee’s 2020 plan: Become president, save the planet
- Iowa Corrections looking for Cedar Rapids work release escapee, robbery convict
- Iowa won’t follow stricter federal standard for beach water quality