A flash flood warning is in effect for Cedar Rapids and the surrounding areas until 2:30 a.m.
A line of thunderstorms is passing through the area and will result in heavy rains and winds as intense as 30 mph in Southeastern Buchanan, Northwestern Cedar, Northern Johnson, Southeastern Benton, Western Jones, Southeastern Delaware, Linn, and Northeastern Iowa counties according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service is expecting rivers to rise and issued a warning to any residence living near creeks or streams to be prepared to move to higher ground in case of flash floods.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Photos: Iowa high school girls' state wrestling tournament
- As Iowa girls’ state wrestling grows, Millie Peach becomes event’s first 3-time champ
- Iowa City Liberty boys’ basketball hasn't played much, but remains perfect
- Former Iowa football player Dalles Jacobus plans next steps for music career
- Iowa adds Florida OL Michael Myslinski to 2021 recruiting class
- Former Iowa City mayor makes history as first Black chair of Iowa Democratic Party