A flash flood warning is in effect for Cedar Rapids and the surrounding areas until 2:30 a.m.
A line of thunderstorms is passing through the area and will result in heavy rains and winds as intense as 30 mph in Southeastern Buchanan, Northwestern Cedar, Northern Johnson, Southeastern Benton, Western Jones, Southeastern Delaware, Linn, and Northeastern Iowa counties according to the National Weather Service.
The weather service is expecting rivers to rise and issued a warning to any residence living near creeks or streams to be prepared to move to higher ground in case of flash floods.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
- Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz: ‘Change will begin with us’
- Iowa high school softball preseason rankings: North Linn is No. 1 in Class 2A
- ‘I had a blast’: High school baseball teams in Iowa embrace precautions in return to practice
- Reopened Riverside Casino sees ‘brisk’ traffic on first day back open
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: State championship round, May Mascot Madness
- Democrats in Iowa Legislature add racial injustice issues to agenda