Tire tread from a dump truck’s wheel broke through a woman’s windshield and struck her while she was driving through Central City Monday.
At about 11:30 a.m., Sara Chapman, 35, of Manchester, was southbound on Highway 13 just north of Barber Street when a piece of tire tread from a dump truck broke through the windshield and struck her. A passenger, 37-year-old Billie Jo Robertson, was uninjured. Chapman was transported to Unity Point-St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids for what were believed to be non-life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the northbound dump truck, Richard Mollenhauer, 59, of Central City, returned to the scene of the accident once he discovered he had lost the tire tread from one of his wheels. He was uninjured in the incident.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Tyler Cook’s whirlwind week ends with NBA roster spot in Cleveland
- B.J. Armstrong came “home” to Iowa City this weekend
- Hawkeyes 2019 TV show has redemptive arcs and plenty of drama for the next five games
- Cornell women’s soccer unbeaten in last 10 matches, eyes first MWC tournament berth
- Top 20 photos - Iowa Hawkeyes football vs Purdue
- Area volleyball Super Ten