Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers is offering a new reward of $50,000 for information leading to an arrest in the 2012 abduction and murders of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook of Evansdale.
The reward was announced Tuesday morning and is separate from other rewards that would be contingent upon a conviction.
Elizabeth, 8, and Lyric, 10, were cousins. They went missing July 13, 2012.
They were seen riding their bicycles about noon at Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area in Evansdale, a northeastern Iowa community of about 4,500 residents southeast of Waterloo.
Their bicycles and Elizabeth’s purse were found about 4 p.m. on a trail near the lake.
For nearly five months after the disappearance, law enforcement agencies and residents mounted an enormous search for the girls.
Their bodies were found Dec. 5 by a group of hunters at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park in Bremer County, about 20 miles north of Evansdale.
Tips in the case may be submitted by:
• Calling Evansdale police at (319) 232-6682
• Calling Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at (855) 300-8477
• Emailing the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Visiting www.cvcrimestop.com and submitting the information online
• Using Tipsoft by texting the word Cedar plus the tip to 274637 (Crimes)
Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers in its news release that “Tipsoft allows a person to remain anonymous but allows law enforcement to communicate back and forth with the person to clarify information.”