Public Safety

Cedar Rapids house fire sends one man to hospital

Acting Captain Adam Jones gets back into the truck after responding to an automated fire alarm reporting water flow from
Acting Captain Adam Jones gets back into the truck after responding to an automated fire alarm reporting water flow from the sprinkler system at the former Sears location at Lindale Mall in Cedar Rapids on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (The Gazette)

CEDAR RAPIDS — Firefighters responded to a fire Friday morning that damaged a residence and sent a man to a hospital.

Cedar Rapids firefighters were dispatched around 9:30 a.m. to a 1.5-story residence at 111 Kenmore St. NE for reports of a basement fire. When they arrived, firefighters saw smoke coming from the home.

While firefighters attacked the blaze, a 58-year-old man was found outside with soot on his face.

Emergency medical care was administered, and he was taken to UnityPoint Health-St. Luke’s Hospital for treatment.

No other occupants were found inside, firefighters said.

The residence suffered heavy fire, heat and smoke damage to the basement and smoke damage to the first floor, the fire department said.

Comments: (319) 398-8238; kat.russell@thegazette.com

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.