The Gazette  

As the Cedar River is expected to reach a crest of 18.6 feet Monday into Tuesday, the National Weather Service will be updating the forecast and current readings every hour. You can monitor these levels with this map.

Public Safety

Faulty dryer to blame for C.R. house fire

Homeowners contained damage by shutting laundry room door

Cedar Rapids Firefighters work to control a fire at High Property Management, 1100 Old Marion Road NE, in Cedar Rapids on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015. (Liz Martin/The Gazette)
Cedar Rapids Firefighters work to control a fire at High Property Management, 1100 Old Marion Road NE, in Cedar Rapids on Thursday, Jan. 15, 2015. (Liz Martin/The Gazette)

CEDAR RAPIDS — A faulty clothes dryer was the cause of a Friday morning house fire in the 2100 block of Fox Trail Drive NE.

Two adults, a child and a cat were home when the fire started at 7 a.m., according to a media release from the Cedar Rapids Fire Department.

The fire was contained to the laundry room.

Quick action by the homeowners — to shut the laundry room door and evacuate — “significantly reduced the amount of damage to their home,” according to the release.

The rest of the house sustained minor smoke damage, the release said.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.