Public Safety

Fatal condo fire started by 'discarded smoking materials,' officials say

Person killed identified as 61-year-old resident

Arrowridge Condominiums (Cedar Rapids Assessor photo)
Arrowridge Condominiums (Cedar Rapids Assessor photo)

CEDAR RAPIDS — The fatal fire at a Cedar Rapids condominium complex on Tuesday was likely caused by “carelessly discarded smoking materials,” the Cedar Rapids Fire Department said.

Toni K. Cooley, 61, was pronounced dead at the scene of the fire at Arrowridge Condominiums, 5145 Johnson Ave. SW, Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release.

Fire investigators determined the fire was unintentional, originating near a couch inside Cooley’s home, and “likely the result of carelessly discarded smoking materials,” according to a news release.

The fire damage was concentrated in the living room of Cooley’s condominium, with significant smoke damage throughout the unit, the release said.

No other injuries were reported, and the other condominium residents were temporarily displaced, according to the release.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.