Public Safety

Burning bird nest blamed for Cedar Rapids house fire

A bird nest on exterior house lighting ignited a fire Thursday morning in Cedar Rapids.

Cedar Rapids firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from around ceiling lights of the lower level of a home at 721 Bever Ridge Ct. SE, according to a fire department news release.

Firefighters applied water outside the house and removed siding while putting out the fire. They determined a bird nest on an exterior light fixture was the cause.

No one was injured, but the extent of damage was about $15,000, the release said.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.