NASA is live-streaming the Expedition 59 spacewalk online as astronauts Nick Hague and Christina Koch continue the work from a previous walk to install powerful lithium ion batteries on the International Space Station’s solar arrays.
The mission was originally planned as the first all-female spacewalk with Christina Koch and Anne McClain, but spacesuit availability and shifting assignments forced them to reschedule as Nick Hague — who joined McClain on the last spacewalk on March 22 — took McClain’s place.
Today’s spacewalk, Expedition 59, began at 8:20 a.m. EST and is expected to last 6.5 hours. Koch is the 14th woman to perform a spacewalk after McClain became the 13th on March 22.
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Erin Kerkhoff’s ability trumps her disability
- Iowa retires Megan Gustafson’s No. 10 jersey
- Reports: Iowa water quality getting worse and underfunded
- Hakeem Butler, David Montgomery poised to end Iowa State’s NFL Draft drought
- Season ends for Cedar Rapids RoughRiders with Game 4 loss to Chicago in USHL second round
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics’ Organ Transplant Center joins lawsuit against liver allocation process