WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump will sign a proclamation on Wednesday ordering the deployment of the National Guard to help protect the border with Mexico, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said.
“The president has directed that the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security work together with our governors to deploy the National Guard to our southwest border to assist the Border Patrol,” Nielsen said at a White House briefing.
“The president will be signing a proclamation to that effect today.” (Reporting by Jeff Mason; Writing by Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Eric Beech)
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa tax revenue grows, fueled by federal income tax change
- The Aftermath: Strongest Iowa tornado in years strikes Marshalltown
- Search continues for missing UI Student, last seen in Brooklyn, IA
- Photos: Tornado rips through downtown Marshalltown
- Grassley marks 25 years in Senate voting streak
- University of Iowa deregisters another 38 groups