WASHINGTON — North Korea is continuing to produce fissile material for nuclear bombs in spite of its pledge to denuclearize, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday.
Asked at a Senate committee hearing whether this was the case, Pompeo responded to Democratic Senator Ed Markey by saying: “Yes, that’s correct ... yes, they continue to produce fissile material.”
Pompeo declined to respond when asked whether North Korea was continuing to pursue submarine-launched ballistic missiles. (Reporting by David Brunnstrom and Lesley Wroughton; editing by Jonathan Oatis)
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa City West boys’ basketball fills in, shows up and shows out at Wells Fargo Advisors Shootout
- Interactive: University of Iowa coaches fly where?
- Tom Brady and Drew Brees battled Iowa Hawkeyes last century
- Behind Derek Krogmann, as usual, West Delaware beats Waverly-Shell Rock
- Lindell Wigginton and Cam Lard step up for Iowa State basketball
- Iowa high school girls' basketball mock regional brackets (revised)