WASHINGTON — North Korea is continuing to produce fissile material for nuclear bombs in spite of its pledge to denuclearize, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday.
Asked at a Senate committee hearing whether this was the case, Pompeo responded to Democratic Senator Ed Markey by saying: “Yes, that’s correct ... yes, they continue to produce fissile material.”
Pompeo declined to respond when asked whether North Korea was continuing to pursue submarine-launched ballistic missiles. (Reporting by David Brunnstrom and Lesley Wroughton; editing by Jonathan Oatis)
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Mollie Tibbetts’ father heading back home to California
- Ames could be nation’s economic harbinger
- Four more arrested in connection with Cedar Valley Townhomes brawl, bringing total to eight
- Iowa quarterbacks: Is Nate Stanley a first-round NFL draft pick?
- Iowa City man shoots himself, ultimately arrested for felony gun possession
- When Michigan got Iowa'd