Nation & World

Nordstrom soldiers on

Public company buyout deal fizzles

Bloomberg

Pedestrians walk past a Nordstrom store in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, in January.
Bloomberg Pedestrians walk past a Nordstrom store in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, in January.
/

Nordstrom is moving ahead as a publicly traded company, abandoning an attempt by its founding family to take the retailer private and plot a comeback with less scrutiny.

A special committee of the board ended talks with the Nordstrom family when the two sides couldn’t agree on a price. It had rejected a proposal earlier this month that would have valued Nordstrom at about $8.4 billion, or $50 a share.

With the buyout discussions now over, the company is focusing on gaining market share by refining its product selection, improving service and capitalizing on its brand, the board said on Tuesday.

“Nordstrom is well positioned to capitalize on future opportunities,” the board committee said in a statement.

The retailer operates a distribution center, Nordstrom Direct, in Cedar Rapids.

The group representing the founding family included the retailer’s co-presidents — Blake, Peter and Erik Nordstrom — a trio that operates in place of a traditional CEO. On the other side of the table was Nordstrom’s independent directors, such as JPMorgan Chase executive Gordon Smith and TaskRabbit Inc. CEO Stacy Brown-Philpot.

The family had been working since June to take the 117-year-old retailer private. The idea was to remove Nordstrom from the glare of public markets and complete a turnaround of the business, which has been hurt by an industrywide slump.

But members of the group struggled to get a deal done. They suspended the effort in October after failing to get favorable financing terms, then they picked up the campaign again after the holiday season was over.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

The family members, who own about 31 percent of the shares, have argued that the bid was generous when compared to the stock price before they announced the buyout plan in June. At the time, the shares were trading at $40.48, meaning a $50 bid represented a 24 percent premium.

The board committee disagreed. After rejecting the bid earlier this month, it told advisers and management not to provide any more due-diligence information to the family.

“The price proposed is inadequate,” the retailer said at the time. “Unless the group can promptly and substantially improve the price it is proposing to pay for the company, the special committee intends to terminate discussions.”

The question now is whether another bid may emerge, said Nordstrom investor Tony Scherrer, the director of research at Smead Capital Management.

“The family hasn’t come back with anything that’s materially attractive enough to shareholders, so they’re shutting it down — at least for now,” he said.

“We don’t know if the fat lady has sung yet.”

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.

CONTINUE READING

Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.