MEXICO CITY — Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Thursday he had scrapped plans to meet Donald Trump next week after the U.S. president tweeted Mexico should cancel the meeting if it was not prepared to pay for his proposed border wall.
“This morning we informed the White House that I will not attend the work meeting planned for next Tuesday with the POTUS,” Pena Nieto said on Twitter, referring to Trump.
“Mexico reiterates its willingness to work with the United States to reach accords that favor both nations.”
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
- Shaken, not slurred: James Bond had ‘a severe chronic alcohol problem,’ public health experts say
- As government shutdown looms, Sen. Joni Ernst not backing down on ‘Make ’em Squeal’ campaign
- Collins Aerospace to offer voluntary buyouts
- Iowa high school boys' basketball rankings: A new No. 1 in Class 2A
- Armed robbery suspect arrested after brief standoff
- Two men arrested after shooting at Cedar Rapids apartment building