MEXICO CITY — Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Thursday he had scrapped plans to meet Donald Trump next week after the U.S. president tweeted Mexico should cancel the meeting if it was not prepared to pay for his proposed border wall.
“This morning we informed the White House that I will not attend the work meeting planned for next Tuesday with the POTUS,” Pena Nieto said on Twitter, referring to Trump.
“Mexico reiterates its willingness to work with the United States to reach accords that favor both nations.”
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Police: Drunk motorcyclist takes officers on high speed chase down I-380, reaching 111 mph
- Earlier start boosts Chris Peters’ confidence in 2nd District race
- After ‘newbo evolve,’ GO Cedar Rapids’ future uncertain
- Linn County Sheriffs apprehend white BMW driver wanted from Jones County
- Midland grinds out Week 0 victory over No. 5 Lone Tree
- Iowa City man shoots himself, ultimately arrested for felony gun possession