MEXICO CITY — Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Thursday he had scrapped plans to meet Donald Trump next week after the U.S. president tweeted Mexico should cancel the meeting if it was not prepared to pay for his proposed border wall.
“This morning we informed the White House that I will not attend the work meeting planned for next Tuesday with the POTUS,” Pena Nieto said on Twitter, referring to Trump.
“Mexico reiterates its willingness to work with the United States to reach accords that favor both nations.”
MORE Nation & World ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Johnson County supervisors send letter to Gov. Reynolds asking for shelter-in-place order
- Linn County coronavirus cases linked to outbreak in Cedar Rapids long-term care facility
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for March 30: Mercy shifts respiratory clinic to increase patient capacity
- Former school bus driver accused of attempting to abuse a girl, 10, faces felony charges
- University of Iowa, Iowa State to refund housing, dining, and fees
- Coronavirus Q&A with University of Iowa experts