IOWA CITY — With a special election just weeks away, and the general election not far behind, the Johnson County Auditor’s Office is sharing early voting details and information about candidate forums.
SPECIAL COUNCIL ELECTION
Five candidates are running for a vacant at-large Iowa City Council seat, which opened up after council member Kingsley Botchway II resigned in July to take a job with Waterloo schools. Because more than two candidates filed, the city must hold a primary election Sept. 4.
• When you can vote: Early voting for the primary is scheduled to begin Wednesday at the auditor’s office through Aug. 31 during regular office hours, 7:45 a.m.-5:30 p.m. weekdays. Because of the short timeline for the election, and the timing of the Labor Day holiday and the University of Iowa’s first home football game, the auditor’s office said there will be no satellite early-voting locations for the primary, according to a news release.
The start of early voting for the Oct. 2 special election will be announced soon after the primary, the auditor’s office said. The Iowa City Library will be a satellte voting location for early voters from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m on Sept. 27. The date was originally planned to be a satellite voting site for the Nov. 6 general election but an Iowa Supreme Court ruling last week required the first date of early voting to be moved from as early as 40 days back to 29 days before the election, making Oct. 8 the earliest date for early voting for the general election.
• Candidate forum: 7-8:30 p.m. Aug. 29 at Iowa City Hall, hosted by the League of Women Voters of Johnson County.
Early voting at the auditor’s office for the November general election is scheduled to begin Oct. 8 during regular business hours, 7:45 a.m.-5:30 p.m., on weekdays. The below schedule for early voting may be updated, the auditor’s office says, but here is the prelminary schedule announced Wednesday:
• Oct. 27: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Oct. 28: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Oct. 29-Nov. 1: 7:45 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Nov. 3: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Nov. 4: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Satellite voting locations:
• Oct. 8: 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Iowa City Public Library
• Oct. 22: 7-9 a.m. and 4-6 p.m., Tiffin City Hall
• Oct. 23-25: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Iowa Memorial Union
• Oct. 24-26: 10 a.m.-4 p.m., University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
• Oct. 26: 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Old Capitol Mall (downstairs)
• Oct. 27: 11 a.m.-3 p.m., North Liberty Library
• Oct. 27: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Iowa City Public Library
• Oct. 28: Noon-5 p.m., Iowa City Public Library
• Oct. 29-Nov. 2: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., the Iowa City Public Library
• Oct. 29-31: 2-6 p.m., Coralville Public Library
• Oct. 30-Nov. 1: 3-7 p.m., Iowa City Public Library
• Nov. 3: 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Coralville Public Library
• Nov. 3: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Iowa City Public Library
Candidate forums: The LWVJC will also host a number of candidate forums ahead of the general election.
• Iowa House District 73: 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 4, Solon (location to be announced)
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• 2nd Congressional District: 2-3:30 p.m. Oct. 8, Coralville Public Library Schwab Auditorium, co-sponsored with Task Force on Aging.
• Johnson County Board of Supervisors: 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 9, Iowa City Hall
• Iowa Senate District 39: 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 11, Tiffin City Hall
• Iowa Senate District 37: 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 16, Coralville Public Library Schwab Auditorium
• Iowa Senate District 43: 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 18, Iowa City Public Library Rooms A, B, C.
For more information on voting, visit jcauditor.com.
l Comments: (319) 339-3172; firstname.lastname@example.org