Volunteers are needed around Cedar Rapids to help with flood preparation efforts.
In a news release Thursday evening, the city said information on potential sandbagging areas will be issued as preparations continue, and volunteers will be able to find information online at cedar-rapids.org as needs are identified.
The United Way of East Central Iowa is coordinating volunteers as well. Visit uweci.org for updates.
• The sandbagging site at the New Bohemia district was congested with volunteers Friday around noon, city officials said over social media.
• Sandbagging sites at Ellis Park and near the Time Check Recreation Center, Fifth Street and K Ave NW, still need volunteers.
• The City of Palo, about 10 miles northwest of Cedar Rapids, is asking for as many volunteers as possible. Volunteers should meet at City Hall, 2800 Hollenbeck Road, to help sandbag. Call 319-851-2731 for more information.
• ReStore, Cedar Valley Habitat for Humanity’s resale shop, needs help moving materials out of the store, 350 6th Street SE, and into semi-trucks.
• Bridgehaven Pregnancy Support Center, 701 Center Point Road NE, is asking for help moving furniture on its first floor upstairs. Volunteers are also needed at Bridgehaven’s resale shop, Treasures Quality Resale, 405 8th Ave SE, to help empty the store. Bridgehaven is also accepting sandbag donations.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Non-profit service agency Horizons, 819 Fifth Street SE, will start sandbagging Friday night or Saturday morning. Staff ask volunteers call 319-398-3943 before arriving.
• True North, an insurance company at 500 First Street SE, will begin sandbagging around 1 p.m. Friday and is asking for volunteers to help. Call 319-739-1200 for more information.
• The African American Museum of Iowa is asking for donations of cardboard boxes and assistance with sandbagging. The museum is also moving and protecting its collection, but can only accept help from volunteers with historic preservation or collections management training.
• NewBo City Market is closed for the weekend beginning Friday, and there will be a city sandbagging station at the market. Volunteers are needed to help sandbag beginning at 5 p.m. Thursday to protect businesses in the neighborhood. Volunteers are asked to bring their own shovels.
• The Arc of East Central Iowa located at 680 2nd St SE downtown CR will be moving and sandbagging starting at 9 a.m. Friday.
• The Friends of the Cedar Rapids Public Library organization is looking for volunteers to help move books out of their basement bookshop in the Cherry Building, 329 10th Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids. Volunteers are needed beginning 8 a.m. Friday to pack and carry boxes and load shelves and other equipment onto a CRST-semi-truck.
• The Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre is also looking for help moving props and equipment out of storage in the Cherry Building basement. Work will begin at 10 a.m. Friday.
• Matthew 25, an organization that grew as a response to the devastation of the Floods of 2008, is seeking volunteers to help with sandbagging and evacuating their building at 201 Third Ave. W. They are planning to begin moving out of the building around 2 p.m. Saturday and are looking for people willing to lend trucks or trailers as well as storage space. Those who can help are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Local anti-hunger non-profit Feed Iowa First is looking for help as well — text 319-329-5818 for more information.
• An all call has been issued for volunteers needed in Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street District. Beginning at 9 a.m. Friday, they will deploy one semi trailer in Czech Village (16th Ave SW between A Street and C Street) and one semi trailer in New Bohemia (beginning at intersection of 16th Ave SE and 3rd St SE) to assist business owners with removing items from their buildings. (Rain or shine)
Jennifer Pruden (319-432-9785) and Susie Weinacht (319-210-0895) will be there to coordinate business needs and direct volunteer efforts.
• World Class Graphics and Displays located at 883 Shaver Road Cedar Rapids (Old Climate a Engineer Building off H Ave) is starting to sandbag Friday morning at 9:30 a.m. Any help welcome.
• The Pig and Porter in the NewBo market area also will begin sandbagging at 9:30 a.m.
Have any other volunteer opportunities that you’d like to report? Email us at email@example.com.