Dyersville man on the lam since 1980s sentenced to over 3 years in federal prison

CEDAR RAPIDS — A Dyersville man who was on the lam from the Army since the 1980s and from federal authorities for 17 years was sentenced to more than three years in prison Tuesday in federal court.

Darryl Grigsby, 57, pleaded guilty in September to one count of aggravated identity theft and one count of misuse of a Social Security number.

Grigsby was convicted at court-martial of aggravated assault while serving in the Army in the 1980s, according to prosecutors during the sentencing hearing. Following his conviction and while pending additional criminal charges, Grigsby ran from the Army.

He was later convicted of bank robbery in Oregon on federal charges in the 1990s while using the name “Aaron Davis,” according to court documents. In 2001, Grigsby absconded from federal supervised release. At some point after his robbery conviction, Grigsby began using the identity and Social Security number of another person.

He continued to use that identity until his arrest in Iowa last year by U.S. marshals on a warrant out of Rhode Island. Authorities had been looking for him since 2000 when he violated conditions of his supervised release. Grigsby still is wanted by the Army and was on its list of Most Wanted Fugitives.

According to the U.S. Army, the former infantryman is wanted for assault, aggravated assault, attempted rape and attempted armed robbery, Deputy Nicholas Bonifazi, public information officer for the U.S. Marshal’s Service office in Cedar Rapids, said at the time of Grigsby’s arrest. “Grigsby managed to evade capture for 17 years, using multiple aliases and, ultimately, hiding in plain sight,” Bonifazi previously said.

U.S. District Senior Judge Linda Reade sentenced Grigsby to 40 months in prison. He was also ordered to pay $19,401 in restitution to the Social Security Administration and $46,118.48 in restitution to the State of Iowa. He must also serve three years of supervised release following his prison time.

Grigsby remains in U.S. marshal’s custody until he can be taken to a federal prison.


The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tony Morfitt and investigated by the Social Security Administration — Office of the Inspector General.

l Comments: (319) 398-8318;


Give us feedback

We value your trust and work hard to provide fair, accurate coverage. If you have found an error or omission in our reporting, tell us here.

Or if you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.