IOWA CITY — With thousands of RAGBRAI riders expected to arrive in Iowa City on Friday, travel around downtown will be challenging through Saturday morning, when the riders leave for Davenport.
But a big outdoor party awaits the bikers — and anyone else who wants to head downtown.
Admission to the Book It to Iowa City Bash is free to anyone with a RAGBRAI wrist band or who isn’t drinking.
Other people will have to buy a $10 wristband to get in.
The main stage is on the corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue, with the Jayhawks and Blitzen Trapper headlining. Music is scheduled from 4 to 10.m.
A side stage at Washington and Linn streets will feature entertainment from noon to 10 p.m.
Movies will be shown throughout the day at the Iowa City Public Library and the Senior Center, with an outdoor screening of “Field of Dreams” at 8 p.m. in FilmScene’s alleyway.
Seven entrances to the downtown bash will be located around the designated eight-block party area, where alcohol can be consumed from noon to midnight. People can buy alcohol in a tent near the main stage or at downtown businesses.
Bicyclists plan to enter Iowa City on Market Street on Friday and leave via Jefferson Street on Saturday.
Other things you need to know
• Gilbert Street from Highway 6 to Burlington Street
• Gilbert Street from Burlington Street to Market Street, as merited by flow of bicycles
• On Saturday — Southbound Gilbert Street from Jefferson Street to Highway 6 Saturday
• East Market Street between Gilbert and Linn streets
• Iowa Avenue westbound between Madison and Riverside Drive — one lane, no large trucks
• Riverside Drive from Highway 6 to River Street northbound
• Iowa Avenue between Clinton and Dubuque streets
• Clinton Street between Jefferson and Washington streets
• Clinton Street from Bloomington to Burlington streets
• Dubuque Street from Jefferson to Washington streets
• Linn Street from Iowa Avenue to College Street
• Iowa Avenue from Gilbert to Clinton streets
• Washington Street from Gilbert to Clinton streets
• 300 block of East College Street accessible only from Linn Street
• 220 S. Capitol St.
• 220 S. Dubuque St.
• 175 E. Harrison St.
• 150 E. Court St.
Note: Drivers should avoid both the Tower Place and Chauncey Swan parking ramps.
• Iowa City bus rides are free all day Friday.
• Downtown interchange moves to the Court Street Transportation Center, 150 E. Court St.
l Comments: (319) 339-3172; firstname.lastname@example.org