On May 15, 1968, an F5 tornado tore through Oelwein and surrounding communities. It leveled homes, flipped cars and left 450 people injured and 13 dead.
50 years later, The Gazette takes a look back through photos taken a day after the natural disaster.
MORE Community ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Mollie Tibbetts’ father heading back home to California
- Iowa high school football 2018: Area district predictions
- Ames could be nation’s economic harbinger
- Five more arrested in connection with Cedar Valley Townhomes brawl, bringing total to nine
- Iowa quarterbacks: Is Nate Stanley a first-round NFL draft pick?
- Prep volleyball 2018: Area players to watch