This is Bike to Work Week and there are events scheduled in the area all week to celebrate and encourage commuting by bicycle.
• In Marion at 7:30 a.m., a kickoff ride from Thomas Park to City Square Park will be held, followed by a mayoral proclamation, with food and refreshments available afterward.
• In Cedar Rapids from 7 to 9 a.m. and from 4 to 6 p.m., pick up free items and refreshments at Bike to Work Week pit stops from at First Avenue E and the Cedar River Trail. A pit stop also will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Cedar River Trail at McLoud Run on Center Point Road.
• In Iowa City from 7 to 9 a.m., a free breakfast will be available to bicycle commuters at the patio just south of the Johnson County Administration Building, 913 S. Dubuque St.
• In University Heights from 6:30 to 10 a.m., breakfast will be available for bike commuters at the University Heights Community Center, 1302 Melrose Ave.
• In Marion from 7 to 9 a.m., a morning commute pit stop will take place at Lindale Trail and Lindale Drive.
• In Cedar Rapids at noon, a Bike to Lunch Business Challenge takes place at NewBo City Market, where the BikeCR Committee will provide updates on cycling-related topics.
• In Iowa City at 5:30 p.m., a community ride begins at College Green Park, at College and Johnson streets, to the New Pioneer Co-op at 1102 Second St. in Coralville.
• In Marion at 6 p.m., an 8-mile Ride of Silence starting and ending at City Square Park will be held to honor those who have been injured or killed while cycling on roadways.
• In Cedar Rapids from 7 to 9 a.m., Bike to Work Week pit stops with free items and refreshments will be held at First Avenue E and the Cedar River Trail as well as at Collins Aerospace Center, corner of F Avenue NE and Collins Road NE, and from 4 to 6 p.m. at NewBo City Market, where a Meet Me at the Market bike ride also will begin at 6 p.m.
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• In Iowa City at 7 p.m., an Overdue Ride begins at the Iowa City Bike Library, 700 S. Dubuque St., that explores the community.
• in Marion at 6 p.m., a Pedal Marion Ride will be held, beginning and ending at City Square Park, followed by a Helmets and Hops after-party in the Uptown Artway.
• In Marion at 7:30 a.m., a National Bike to Work day ride takes place from Butterfield Park to City Square Park, with food and refreshments to follow.
• In Iowa City at 5 p.m., the Bike Library, 700 S. Dubuque St., will host a 15th anniversary party and bike ride.
• In Cedar Rapids at 6 p.m., a Handlebar Happy Hour and group photo takes place at Kickstand, 203 16th Ave. SE.