Thousands marched through downtown Cedar Rapids on Saturday to protest racism, police brutality and the death of George Floyd, a black man killed in police custody last week in Minneapolis.
During the march, organizers stopped traffic periodically for eight minutes and 46 seconds, representing the length of time a police officer’s knee was on Floyd’s neck, preventing him from breathing.
Below is a recap of the live coverage from Gazette reporters and photographers.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Big Ten football won’t go quietly ... for now
- The structure of Iowa athletics begins to change
- Scott Schebler describes MLB spring training restart as ‘odd,’ though he feels comfortable playing
- Why RV life isn’t for these senior tent campers
- Photos: West Branch vs. Williamsburg, Iowa high school baseball
- Jason Doyle makes time for Hawkeye Downs