Coats, boots, gloves and hats — all the rage when Winterfest blows into the Amana Colonies. This seasonal celebration features ways to warm visitors indoors and out, from a morning Freezer 5K run/walk to the evening Snowball dance at the Millstream Brau Haus in Amana. Other events include breakfast at the communal kitchen in Middle Amana ($15, reservations at 319-622-3567), old-fashioned fun like crosscut log sawing, the Great Amana Ham-Put (think shot-put), beard competition and Nagelhauen nail driving contest, as well as a wine and beer walk. Shops will tempt guests with treats, demonstrations, crafts, and restaurants always beckon.
Amana Colonies Winterfest
All day Saturday (1/27), Amana and various other colonies’ sites; many free, some with fees; Festivalsinamana.com/winterfest.html
MORE People & Places ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Lindsey Culver's homer sends Jefferson to 5A state softball semifinals
- Manchester welcomes North Linn with another state banner
- Cedar Rapids school district moves to fire teacher for 'inappropriate use of African-American baby doll'
- Newton's 7th-inning home run sinks Xavier in state softball quarterfinals
- Don Bosco upends No. 5 Alburnett in 1A substate baseball final
- Iowa, your press box leaks