With the advent of gardening season comes plant sales by organizations throughout the Corridor. Here are a few upcoming events:
Echollective Garden Garage Sale
• What: Mechanicsville-based Echollective Farm will host this pop-up plant sale at a house in Iowa City, featuring a variety of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, kale, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, basil, sunflowers, herbs, hanging baskets and more.
• When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today
• Where: 1003 Ginter Ave., Iowa City
• Details: echollectivefarm.com
Indian Creek Spring Plant and Art Sale
• What: The Friends of the Nature Center host this sale of wildflowers, hostas, geraniums, perennials, prairie plants, vegetables, hanging baskets, planters and more. Gardening experts will be on hand to answer questions and make suggestions, and garden art and accessories also will be for sale.
• When: 9 a.m. to noon Saturday
• Where: Indian Creek Nature Center, 5300 Otis Road SE, Cedar Rapids
• Details: bit.ly/ICNCPlantArtSale
Friends of Hickory Hill Park Plant Sales
• What: Friends of Hickory Hill Park will host two plant sales with proceeds supporting Hickory Hill Park upkeep and maintenance. Ten percent of Big Grove sales from 5 to 8 p.m. on May 7 also will go the park. The sales will include native Iowa plants as well as plants donated by local gardeners. The group will hold its annual meeting at Big Grove May 7, with the public welcome to attend.
• When and where: 5 to 8 p.m. May 7 at Big Grove Brewery, 1225 S. Gilbert St., Iowa City, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 18 and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 19 at the Bloomington Street entrance to Hickory Hill Park, Iowa City
• Details: hickoryhillpark.org
Linn County Master Gardener Plant Sale
• What: Master Gardeners will be available to help choose plants and answer questions. Plants will include perennials, several varieties of hosta and day lilies, wildflowers, ground covers, ornamental grasses, vegetable and herbs starts, annuals and houseplants.
• When: 8 a.m. to noon May 11
• Where: American Legion Auxiliary, 625 31st St., Marion
• Details: extension.iastate.edu/linn
Johnson County Master Gardener Plant Sale & Flea Market
• What: This sale features perennials, annuals, vegetables, herbs, houseplants, tubers, bulbs, seedlings and more, as well as gently used garden tools, plant containers, yard art, books, magazines and more. Proceeds go toward scholarships, 4-H awards, and Master Gardener core projects.
• When: 9 to 11:30 a.m. May 11
• Where: Johnson County Fairgrounds, Building B, 4261 Oak Crest Hill Rd. SE, Iowa City
• Details: extension.iastate.edu/johnson/countynews
Matthew 25 Spring Plant Sale
• What: Support Matthew 25 at this sale of organic vegetable and herb starts, including some rare and unusual plants, as well as annual and perennial flower starts. EBT/SNAP can be accepted for all edible plants purchased. Hanging baskets with begonia, fuchsia, lobelia, petunias and more will be available in limited qualities and can be preordered online.
• When: 9:30 a.m. to noon May 11
• Where: Cultivate Hope Urban Farm, 437 G Ave. NW, Cedar Rapids
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Details: bit.ly/plantsale2019
St. Wenceslaus Altar and Rosary Plant Sale
• What: Hanging baskets, geraniums and other perennials, annuals, vegetables, house plants and succulents.
• When: 8 a.m. to noon and after 4 p.m. Mass May 11 and after 8 and 10 a.m. Masses May 12
• Where: St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church, 618 E. Davenport St., Iowa City
• Details: stwenc-ic.com
The Good Earth Garden Club Plant Sale
• What: The Good Earth Garden Club is dedicated to stimulating a love of gardening, encouraging home and community beautification and encouraging conservation. Their sale will include flowers, vegetables and herbs.
• When: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 11 and May 18, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 19
• Where: 740 Old Marion Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids
• Details: gegc.weebly.com/2019-plant-sale.html
Plants for the Cure
• What: Join Team Breast Friends at this sale to benefit individuals in the community who have been diagnosed with breast cancer. The sale includes bedding plants, hostas, perennials and more, baked goods and more than 30 vendors.
• When: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 18
• Where: Johnson County Fairgrounds, Building C, 4261 Oak Crest Hill Rd. SE, Iowa City
• Details: teambreastfriends.org
Iowa Mennonite Relief Sale
• What: In addition to hundreds of plants including annuals, vegetables, herbs, handing baskets, flowers and more, this sale features a quilt auction, furniture, handmade items, artisan crafts from around the world, food, children’s activities, live music and more.
• When: 3 to 9 p.m. May 31 and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 1
• Where: Johnson County Fairgrounds, 4261 Oak Crest Hill Rd. SE, Iowa City
• Details: iamccreliefsale.org