Five food and drink events sure to tempt tastebuds across the Corridor this week:
Wine tasting — California Central Coast
Explore Central California wines at this tasting with certified sommelier Vic Kuper. Sample eight varietals and learn about the grapes, barreling techniques and other details. Local music by Johnny Lipford and organic appetizers by Nikki Grimm will accompany the wine.
- When: 6 p.m. Thursday
- Where: The Famous Mockingbird, 1064 Seventh Ave., Marion
- Cost: $20
- Details: thefamousmockingbird.com
Keep Your Fork
You’ll want to keep your fork so you can keep tasting your way through this dessert contest to benefit Table to Table. Sample desserts, bid on entries and participate in a silent auction. A panel of local chefs will judge the entries in categories including general, gluten free and youth.
- When: 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 123 E. Market St., Iowa City
- Cost: Free
- Enter the contest: (319) 338-2893, gatheredbygrace.org
Who has the best mac and cheese? Find out at this tasting competition featuring local restaurants competing in a cheese-and-noodles showdown.
- When: 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Urban Acres Real Estate, 250 Holiday Road, Coralville
- Cost: $10 to $20
- Tickets: bit.ly/MacMadness18
Food tour of Historic Czech Village
Step back in time and taste your way through the history of Czech Village at this food tour hosted by the National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library. Museum staff will share the unique history of the neighborhood, with special stories about food and restaurants in the district.
Along with the stories, participants will sample Czech food and drinks.
- When: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday
- Where: National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, 1400 Inspiration Place SW, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $25 to $30
- Tickets: ncsml.org/event/food-tour-historic-czech-village-2
The Class Act’s World Culinary Tour: Malaysia
Join the Class Act restaurant at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center for a culinary journey around the world. Each month highlights a different country’s cuisine with a multicourse meal created, produced and executed in part by Kirkwood’s Culinary Arts students. This month, try the flavors of Malaysia. Upcoming stops include Croatia, New Zealand, Argentina, Thailand, Polynesia and Germany.
- When: Dinner seatings Wednesday and May 3
- Where: The Class Act at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, 7725 Kirkwood Blvd. SW, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $35
- Details: (319) 848-8777, hehotelatkirkwood.com