Step back in time with traditional Houby Days fare, or slip into summer with one of this week’s wine tastings:
Wines of Oregon and Washington
Explore wines from the Pacific Northwest, with special emphasis on wines from Oregon. There are plenty of vintages to choose from; Oregon has over 700 wineries and more than 1,000 vineyards growing 72 grape varieties.
- When: 6 p.m. today
- Where: Della Viti Wine Lounge, 203 First Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $15
- Details: (319) 409-7421
Taste of Czech & Slovak
Get in the spirit of Houby Days at this meal featuring appetizers, soup, salads, entrees and dessert recipes handed down by generations of Czech and Slovak cooks, presented up by The National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library Guild, Parlor City Pub & Eatery, Sokol Cedar Rapids, Dostal Catering, Lu’s Deli, Village Meat Market, Brewhemia, Hy-Vee on Wilson Avenue and Sykora Bakery. In honor of Houby Days, the museum will remain open until 8 p.m. Friday and will have lowered admission rates throughout the weekend.
- When: 5 and 6 p.m. seatings Friday
- Where: National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, 1400 Inspiration Place SW, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: Adults $15; children 10 and under free
Rose Wine tasting
Sip your way into summer at this tasting of rose wines. According to host Benz Beverage Depot, “Over the years, rosť wine has received a bad rap and has long been associated with sweet, pink wines. Times have changed and today’s rosť is making a comeback as wineries make rosť with a modern twist. With its light, refreshing taste, rosť is a favorite spring & summer wine.”
- When: 5 to 7 p.m. Friday
- Where: Benz Beverage Depot, 501 Seventh Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: Free
Speakeasy Night with Vandello
Step back in time with an evening of pre-prohibition cocktails, dancing and live music by Vandello, a band that plays a mix of early jazz, modern swing and everything in between. 1920s attire is encouraged for this night which also features complimentary appetizers, tours and tastings. Wood-fire pizzas will be available for purchase.
- When: 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery, 1441 Marak Road NW, Swisher
- Cost: $10 to $12
Tasting Train: Greece
Climb aboard the wine train as WineStyles takes patrons on a world tour, focusing on the wines of different countries and regions. This month, dive into the flavors of Greece. Attend eleven tasting destinations and earn a travel backpack; upcoming destinations include Alsace in June, Finger Lakes in July, South Australia in August and California Lake Country in September.
- When: 6 p.m. Tuesday
- Where: WineStyles Iowa River Landing, 920 E. Second Ave., Suite 115, Coralville
- Cost: $20 public, $15 club members
- RSVP required: (319) 337-9463 or email email@example.com