Winter is finally showing some of its bite. So it’s time to get some bites of good food to fight off the doldrums.
Barrel Aged January
Lion Bridge Brewing’s celebration of barrel-aged beers continues, with a 3 p.m. tapping of Vanilla Bean Home-Baked Firkin and live music by Cedar County Cobras from 6 to 8 p.m. today, barrel stein making with the Ceramics Center from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday ($35), release of Barrel Aged Sour at 3 p.m. Wednesday and Cherry Limeade Sour Firkin tapping at 3 p.m. Jan. 23, with live music by the Dandelion Stompers from 6 to 8 p.m.
• When: Today, Sunday, Wednesday and Jan. 23
• Where: Lion Bridge Brewing Company, 59 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Details: (319) 200-4460
European Beer Tasting
Taking a trip into some of the world’s oldest breweries for this exploration of European beers. Tastings are open-house style and complimentary.
• When: 5 to 7 p.m. Friday
• Where: Benz Beverage Depot, 501 Seventh Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: Free
• Details: facebook.com/pg/benzbeverage/events
Don’t let winter stop you from barbecuing. This group smoking class, hosted by The Grill Works, will be held indoors at Lowe Park in Marion. Learn to prepare brisket and ribs from pitmasters Bryan Meyer and Mike Givens of BamBQ. The ticket price includes a swag bag from The Grill Works.
• When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Lowe Park, Red Oak Room, 4500 N. 10th St., Marion
• Cost: $99
• Reservations: (319) 395-7118
Immigrant Foodways: Zemlovka
Bread pudding recipes are found across Europe and are a popular homemade treat. Learn how to make this Czech version. Zemlovka is a cross between apple or pear pie and bread pudding.
• When: 1 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday
• Where: National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, 1400 Inspiration Place SW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $15
• Details: ncsml.org
Magic and Ramen
Pullman will celebrate its fifth birthday with a magic show and ramen night. Magician Nate Staniforth will perform a 20-30 minute show, and guests will enjoy a welcome cocktail, small bites and bowls of ramen. A portion of tickets sold will benefit The Englerts Theatre.
• When: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday
• Where: Pullman Bar & Diner, 17 S. Dubuque St., Iowa City
• Cost: $75
• Details: facebook.com/pg/PullmanBarAndDiner/events