The food events are fall flavored this week.
Oktoberfest has been an Amana tradition since 1965, with special events, food, music and German heritage on display. The tapping of the keg kicks things off in the Festhalle at 2 p.m. Friday. On Saturday, the parade at 10 a.m. is followed by activities for all ages. Listen to live music, try some German dishes like bratwurst and pretzels and show off your skills at events like the stein holding, keg toss, balance walk and log saw contests.
• When: Friday to Sunday
• Where: Festhalle Barn, 4707 220th Trail, Amana
• Cost: Advance $7 single day pay, $12 two day pass; at the door $10 single day, $15 two day; Sunday admission free
Stroll Uptown Marion at this after hours, adults-only shopping event. Visit shops and sample chocolate treats from participating businesses.
• When: 8 to 10:30 p.m. Friday
• Where: Uptown Marion
• Cost: Free
• Details: facebook.com/pg/uptownmarion/events
Raise a glass at this festival of craft beers, food, beer games and entertainment. Anyone can enter the festival area to participate in the games and entertainment. Those with tickets get a tasting glass to sample beers, ciders and wines from over 65 booths. Kids want in on the fun? Check out SodaFest, starting at 10 a.m. in the Pagaliai’s Pizza parking lot (alcohol-free area). Don’t want to miss the game? Hawkeye vs. Michigan Wolverines will be shown on a big-screen TV in the city lot next to Bluebird Diner. Feeling competitive? Enter the brat and Scotch egg eating contest at 2 p.m. or the lederhosen costume contest.
• When: Noon to 3 p.m. Saturday
• Where: 200 block of E. Market St., Iowa City
• Cost: $45; SodaFest $5
Mount Vernon Chili Cook-Off
Local chili chefs can show off their chops at this contest. Twenty-five teams will vie for a total of $450 in cash prizes. The cooking will take place from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, with the public invited to taste the results from 4 to 7 p.m.
• When: 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Uptown Mount Vernon
• Cost: Admission free; chili samples $1 each, or a 25 sample punch card for $20; beverages available for purchase
• Details: visitmvl.com
Historic Brewery Walking Tour of Iowa City
John’s Grocery owner Doug Alberhasky divulges the saucy details of the Historic Northside Brewing District on this walking tour. Learn the history of three major production breweries, hear stories of the tumultuous prohibition era in Iowa City and the 1887 beer riots. Preregistration required. Tour will be repeated Oct. 17.
• When: 5:30 p.m. Oct. 10
• Where: Old Capitol Museum, 21 N. Clinton St., Iowa City
• Cost: Free
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Details: oldcap.uiowa.edu/events/walking-tours-1
10:15AM | Thu, July 02, 2020
10:00AM | Thu, July 02, 2020
07:00AM | Sun, June 28, 2020