Celebrate watermelon season in Atkins with a festival named after the sweet summer fruit. Along with a 10 a.m. Saturday parade, the festival includes games and rides, a 5K Run Friday, Gordy Nelson Memorial Car Show Saturday, fireworks at dusk Saturday, live music and more. In between activities, chow down on concessions like grilled pork loins and hot dogs, plate lunches, funnel cakes and more. And, of course, watermelon; there will be a watermelon eating and seed spitting contest at 2 p.m. Saturday, and there will be free watermelon until it is gone.
• When: Friday and Saturday, August 2-3
• Where: Downtown Atkins
• Details: facebook.com/AtkinsCommunityClub
Bacon -N- Hops Festival
The Manchester Area Chamber of Commerce is proud to bring back Bacon-N-Hops Fest, with live music, a variety of beer & wine samples and a full bacon meal. Tickets include all samples, commemorative glass at the gate, plus entrance into the band. The CMJ Motorcycle Trials will be taking place that day at the White Water Park, so come out to watch the riders and stay for the fun.
• When: 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday, August 3
• Where: Downtown Manchester
• Cost: $20 to $25
• Details: facebook.com/baconnhopsiowa
Need 4th Anniversary Party: Pizza Wars
Need Pizza is celebrating it’s fourth anniversary with specialty pies and craft beers all day, along with raffles, silent auction and merchandise sales. A portion of sales from the day will benefit nonprofits PR Foundation and I Know Jack Foundation.
• When: Noon to close Sunday, August 4
• Where: Need Pizza, 207 Second Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Details: facebook.com/needpizza
Sweet Corn Feed
Grilled sweet corn for only $1 an ear? Award-winning barbecue from T.C. Bonez? How could you go wrong? Throw in a healthy dollop of bluegrass music by Flash In A Pan and you have a perfect recipe for a quintessential Iowa summer evening.
• When: 5 to 7 p.m. Monday, August 5
• Where: Coralville Farmers’ Market, 1513 Seventh St., Coralville
• Details: coralville.org/250/Farmers-Market
Whiskey + Metal
Be one of the first to get your hands on a bottle of Slipknot No. 9 Iowa Whiskey at a release part at Cedar Ridge Distillery. Analog Vault will spin old and new Slipknot albums, including the not yet released, “We Are Not Your Kind,” while you enjoy cocktails from the featured menu, exclusive tours, giveaways and more. Don’t miss your chance to win a pair of tickets to Slipknot’s sold out show at the Iowa State Fair on Aug. 10.
• When: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, August 6
• Where: Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery, 1441 Marak Rd., Swisher
• Details: (319) 857-4300