Take a Bite Food Festival
Taste your way through all the Amana Colonies have to offer at this celebration of both traditional Amana fare and international cuisine. Start on Friday with a village walking tour and traditional communal dinner at the Communal Kitchen Museum, or dive into a global meal featuring Indian, Czech and Mediterranean dishes at Ronneburg Restaurant. On Saturday, sip your way through the Vintners Dinner with White Cross Cellars and Ox Yoke Inn, and return Sunday for events including afternoon tea at Zuber’s Homestead Hotel or a beer and wine dinner at Millstream Brau Haus. Hungry visitors can also try a progressive four course lunch spread between several venues, and those looking for lighter bites can take part in sampling strolls throughout the weekend. Want to do more than eat? Seminars and demonstrations throughout the weekend will feature beer pretzel making, a currywurst and cream puff demo, a mixology class and more.
- When: Friday to Sunday
- Where: Throughout the Amanas
- Details: amanacolonies.com/city/amana-colonies/event
Spring Beer Tasting
Leave the stouts behind in favor of light, refreshing beers for the spring weather that is surely right around the corner. Benz Beverage Depot will pour samples of new seasonals from local and national breweries, with a focus on sour beers. Tastings are complimentary and open house-style.
- When: 5 to 7 p.m. Friday
- Where: Benz Beverage Depot, 501 Seventh Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: Free
- Details: facebook.com/pg/benzbeverage/events
Taste of Jazz
Feed your taste buds and ears alike at this fundraiser for KCCK’s Jazz Education program, featuring music by Betsy Hickok, drink from First Avenue Wine House and food by the future chefs of Kirkwood Community College’s Culinary Arts Department.
- When: 6:30 p.m. Friday
- Where: The Hotel at Kirkwood Center, 7725 Kirkwood Blvd. SW, Cedar Rapids
- Cost: $65
- Tickets: kcck.org/taste or (319) 398-5446
Kitchen Counter Pop-Up at Lion Bridge
The Kitchen Counter, a cooking duo holding pop up dinners until they can open their own restaurant, will take over the kitchen at Lion Bridge Brewing Company for one night. No reservations required — stop by anytime to order from their special menu, complete with suggested beer pairings.
- When: 3 to 9 p.m. Tuesday
- Where: Lion Bridge Brewing Company, 59 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids
- Details: facebook.com/pg/lionbridgebrew/events
Dinner at the Diner
This 1950s-themed dinner, complete with retro music and decor, will raise money for Iowa City nonprofit Table to Table. Guests will taste a variety of small plates and desserts from local chefs, including Stella, Basta, Pullman and Iowa River Power Restaurant, along with complimentary beer and wine. Poodle skirts and leather jackets welcome, but not required.
- When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. April 26
- Where: The Park Lodge at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area, 579 McCollister Blvd., Iowa City
- Cost: $75
- Tickets: table2table.org/dinner or (319) 337-3400