Communal Kitchen Dinner
Enjoy the Amana’s original communal dining experience with traditional recipes and a short cultural program. This month’s theme is “A Wedding Celebration of Dr. Christian and Johnanna Jeck Herrmann,” with meat patties (fleischkuchlein), crumbed potatoes, hot green beans, cucumber salad, red cabbage and desserts of blitzkuchen or schneekuchen cakes. Reservation and prepayment required.
• When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Communal Kitchen Museum, 1003 26th Ave., Middle Amana
• Cost: $25
• Details: (319) 622-3567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Market After Dark
Nearly 100 vendors will take over downtown Cedar Rapids for this annual nighttime incarnation of the popular Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmers’ Market. Grab a bite from a food truck, pick up produce from vendors and enjoy live entertainment and activities like yard games. Market After Dark has an open container policy within the market footprint for beer, wine and cider in special Market After Dark cups available at beverage tents or participating bars and restaurants.
• When: 6:30 to 11 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Downtown Cedar Rapids
• Details: cedarrapids.org/events/market-after-dark
Heirloom Tomato Taste
Celebrate tomato season with Johnson County Master Gardeners, who will host a tasting session of heirloom tomatoes and goodies made from them at Plum Grove Historic Home, the former house of Iowa’s first territorial Gov. Roberty Lucas. The house’s grounds include heritage gardens based on what first lady Friendly Lucas may have grown in her garden.
• When: 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Plum Grove Historic Home, 1030 Carroll St., Iowa City
• Cost: Free
• Details: johnsoncountyhistory.org/tag/tomato-taste
National Everybody Eats Week
Groundswell Cafe, an initiative of nonprofit Matthew 25, offers made-from-scratch meals all year at their eatery, with patrons welcome to pay or eat for free, no questions asked. Groundswell will join cafes across the country Aug. 26 to 30 for National Everybody Eats Week, a campaign to help consumers understand the power they have to end hunger. Throughout the week, Groundswell will offer daily food specials and set a goal to raise $1,000 in donations to the pay-it-forward meal fund.
• When: Monday to Aug. 30
• Where: Groundswell Cafe, 201 Third Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Details: facebook.com/crgroundswell
Taste of Iowa City
Eat your way through Iowa City’s culinary bounty at the Taste of Iowa City. This annual event welcomes new students and longtime residents alike to sample portions from more than 40 restaurant menus. Tickets for the samples will be available at six booths scattered throughout the Downtown and Northside neighborhoods, as well as at MidWest One Bank’s downtown Iowa City location, 102 S. Clinton St.
• When: 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday
• Where: Downtown and Northside neighborhoods, Iowa City
• Cost: Ticket $1, sold in strips of five.
• Details: downtowniowacity.com