By Alison Gowans, The Gazette
Check out these food events happening in the Cedar Rapids area:
Big Grove Solon Anniversary Party
Help Big Grove celebrate six years in Solon with a street party. The kitchen will be open and the beer taps flowing, with release of Hazy Tart IPA, special beers on tap, a root beer float station for kids, plus face painting, chalk the walk, bag tournaments for kids and adults, prize giveaways, a raffle to benefit the Solon Food Pantry and more.
• When: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Big Grove Brewpub, 101 W. Main St., Solon
• Details: facebook.com/pg/BigGroveSolon/events
Festival of Iowa Beers
Iowa’s longest running beer festival features over 50 Iowa breweries. Iowa cider, meads and other gluten-free options will be available. Admission includes a souvenir glass and unlimited beer samples, plus live music. Food will be available for purchase.
• When: 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Millstream Brewing Co., 835 48th Ave., Amana
• Cost: $30 advance, $35 door, $10 designated driver
• Details: www.tikly.co/IBG
Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Oh My!
Linn County Master Gardener Deb Walser leads this talk on how to get the best berries from your garden. Learn how to adjust soil, how and where to plant, the special needs of watering, and pruning techniques.
• When: 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday
• Where: Hiawatha Public Library, 150 W. Willman St., Hiawatha
• Cost: Free
• Details: (319) 393-1414, hiawathapubliclibrary.org/adult.html
What’s for Lunch: A historical look at School Lunch Programs
School lunch is an essential federal program that feeds millions of hungry school children each year. This presentation looks at the history of school lunch and how it has impacted children, communities, and ideas about nutrition. From the replacement of local diets with standardized menus in places like Puerto Rico and Alaska to the health implications of what’s on those menus, the middle meal of the day continues to have an enormous impact on American children. This is part of Mount Mercy’s fall faculty series, “Setting the Table: The Perils & Pleasures of Food in America.”
• When: 7 p.m. Wednesday
• Where: Mount Mercy University, Flaherty Community Room, 204 Basile Hall, 1330 Elmhurst Dr. NE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: Free
• Details: (319) 363-1323, mtmercy.edu/food
Lion Bridge Farmers market
Sip a beer while browsing local vendors and enjoying live music by The Cardinal Sound at this market held twice a year in the Lion Bridge Brewing Company’s parking lot.
• When: 5 to 8 p.m. Sept. 5
• Where: Lion Bridge Brewing Company, 59 16th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Details: lionbridgebrewing.com
08:30AM | Thu, September 24, 2020
12:00AM | Thu, September 24, 2020
04:36PM | Wed, September 23, 2020