Thanksgiving looms, and that is reflected in this week’s food events coming up in Eastern Iowa.
Immigrant Foodways: Breadwinner
Learn how to make Vanocka — a traditional Czech and Slovak bread during the holidays.
• When: 1:30 to 3 p.m. Saturday
• Where: National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, 1400 Inspiration Place SW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $10
• Details: ncsml.org
This food drive on two wheels, organized by Goldfinch Cyclery, starts with registration at NewBo City Market at 10 a.m., with breakfast available from Roasters and La Reyna. Riders will be provided a manifest with a list of food items to buy from specific grocery stores around town and dropped off at Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry. The cycling starts at 11 a.m., with cyclists returning to the market for an after party. Finished manifests with receipts earn a free pint from Lion Bridge Brewing Company, and each purchased item earns a raffle ticket. Last year’s ride netted a literal ton — 2,000 pounds — of donated food and hygiene items for the pantry, which serves around 1,500 individuals each month.
• When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday
• Where: NewBo City Market, 1100 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Details: (319) 775-0203, goldfinchcyclery.com
Holiday Wine Tasting
Stock up for the holidays and cold winter nights at this wine tasting hosted by Brix Cheese Shop & Wine Bar and the Iowa City Downtown District. Ticket price will be reimbursed with purchase of six or more bottles or $10 back on purchase of three bottles
• When: 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Brix Cheese Shop & Wine Bar, 209 N. Linn St., Iowa City
• Cost: $30
• Details: facebook.com/pg/brixiowacity/events
Foodies Fighting Homelessness
Eat out to benefit Shelter House in recognition of National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week. Join the Iowa City homeless shelter at one of a dozen participating Johnson County restaurants for a three-course meal with wine or beer pairings.
• When: 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday
• Cost: $20 to $60
Beer and Cheese Pairing
Backpocket Brewing and Coralville Hy-Vee’s delicatessen will pair up to match five beers with five cheeses at this tasting event.
• When: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Nov. 21
• Where: Backpocket Brewing, 903 Quarry Rd., Coralville
• Cost: $20