Tnese are tbe food events for Sept. 5 through Sept. 11.
Celebrate apple season with a tasting dedicated to cider. With around 30 ciders ranging from sweet to dry, fruit or hop-infused, there will be plenty to try at this open-house style tasting.
• When: 5 to 7 p.m. Friday
• Where: Benz Beverage Depot, 501 Seventh Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: Free
• Details: www.facebook.com/benzbeverage/
Using Summer Tomatoes
• Tomato season is in full swing, with backyard gardens and farmers markets bursting with the fruits of the season, from heirlooms to cherries, romas, beefsteaks and more. Julie Parisi, owner of Zaza’s Pastas, will lead this class, which will include tasting a wide variety of fresh, local tomatoes and a discussion of the nuances of their flavor profiles, as well as lessons on how to make a quick and tasty appetizer, a robust tomato soup and a roasted tomato pasta dish.
• When: 6 to 8 p.m. Friday
• Where: NewBo City Market, 1100 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $20
• Details: newbocitymarket.org
Communal Kitchen Dinner
Experience Amana’s original dining experience with a special after-dinner program in High Amana and a village tour. The menu includes pea soup (boller suppe), breaded bacon, boiled potatoes, navy beans, pickled beets and plum cake. Reservations and prepayment required.
• When: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Communal Kitchen Museum, 1003 26th Ave., Middle Amana
• Cost: $25
• Details: (319) 622-3567 or email email@example.com
Feed Iowa First Charity Dinner
Four local chefs, four beverage makers and four farmers will show off their skills and seasonal produce. Participating food and drink producers are Thew Brewing Co., Lion Bridge Brewing Co., Rapid Creek Cidery, Wild Culture Kombucha, Hoffmann Farm & Forage, Echollective Farm, Jupiter Ridge, Local Harvest, Saint Burch Tavern, Cobble Hill, chefs Spencer Grekoff and Gabe Branch and the Kitchen Counter. Half the ticket price will go to Feed Iowa First, which addresses food insecurity.
• When: 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday
• Where: Rodina, 1507 C St. SW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $100
• Details: facebook.com/rodinaiowa
Beer Dinner featuring Barn Town Brewing
This four-course dinner features drink pairings with West Des Moines-based Barn Town Brewing. The menu: lobster salad paired with Summer Shandy, seared halibut paired with Groovy Ruby, ancho-roasted lamb and mango polenta with Nana Stand, watermelon and mint gazpacho intermezzo and an Italian dessert, berries zabaglione, and rosemary biscuit paired with Blueberry Love Muffin beer.
• When: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday
• Where: Vue Rooftop, 328 S. Clinton St., Iowa City
• Cost: $65
• Details: vuerooftop-ic.com