Costumes, art, performances and more were on display throughout Downtown Iowa City Friday night at the Dazzle Crawl.
The crawl was inspired by the work of costume designer and artist Machine Dazzle, who was the parade marshal and guest of honor. Friday’s event leads up to a performance by Taylor Mac at Hancher Saturday night. Mac wears Dazzle’s creations in performing his “24-Decade History of Popular Music,” an epic musical theater undertaking.
The crawl was also part of Flyover Fest 2018, a fashion, art and culture festival with an emphasis on diverse representation. Flyover continues Saturday in Iowa City.
IF YOU GO:
Taylor Mac: A 24-Decade History of Popular Music (Abridged)
- When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday
- Where: Hancher, 141 E. Park Road
- Cost: $10 to $40
- Tickets: Hancher box office or hancher.uiowa.edu/2017-18/TaylorMac
- WHEN: Thursday (4/26) to Saturday (4/28)
- WHERE: Various venues around downtown Iowa City
- COST: Full festival pass $55. Some individual event tickets available, free to $20. If cost is a barrier to attend, scholarships and discounts are available; email email@example.com for details.
- TICKETS AND FULL SCHEDULE: Helloflyover.com
- “Look, But Don’t Touch” with Momo Pixel (3 to 3:50 p.m. Saturday, MERGE, 136 S. Dubuque St., festival pass);
- “Representation Matters” with Hannah Beachler (7:15 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Shambaugh Auditorium, University of Iowa Main Library, 125 W. Washington St., free);
- Arima Ederra & CHIKA (8:30 to 10 p.m., The Garden Club, 117 E. Washington St., Iowa City, $5);
- Closing & Dance Party with #GetWoke (10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday, Studio 13 & The Yacht Club, 13 S. Linn St., $10)