Monday-Friday during curbside pickup hours, while supplies last. Please call 319.261.READ for more information.
If you don’t want to pick up a craft kit, you can make your own seed bomb using:
• Powdered clay, which you can buy at a craft store
• A packet of seeds, make sure you pick one that grows flowers good for butterflies
• A place to dry the seeds, like a box or a bunch of newspaper
How to make a seed bomb
1. Lay down some old newspaper or use a space that you don’t mind getting messy. Empty out the contents of your Ziploc bag. In there, you’ll find air dry clay, compost and seeds. If your clay has gone a little hard, just add a very small amount of water.
2. Mix together the soil, clay and seeds until everything looks to be the same color.
3. Roll into balls (3-4). Leave the balls to dry for two to three days then plant in a spot an adult has given permission. These seed bombs have flowers in them but if you have seeds at home you can also plant things like lettuce, arugula and spinach.
For more fun summer activities, join the Cedar Rapids Public Library’s Summer DARE program.