116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
A local restaurant in southwest Cedar Rapids suffered moderate damage Friday when a fire erupted in a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof.
According to the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, firefighters were called at 10:41 a.m. to The Viking Lounge at 1971 16th Ave. SW.
When they arrived, contractors directed firefighters to the roof. Firefighters found an “active fire on the roof within an HVAC unit,” a news release said.
Fire crews deployed hose lines to extinguish the blaze and knock out any additional hot spots.
The fire department said the building sustained minor fire damage to the roof and HVAC system and moderate water damage on the inside.
No injuries were reported.
In a Facebook post, the restaurant announced it would be closed due to a “small fire on the roof from construction repairs.”
The restaurant later updated its post to say the staff is working hard to open Friday night, and advised its clients to expect additional updates.
Comments: (319) 398-8238; email@example.com.